26 Mar, 2024

A Situational Analysis on the State of the Education Research Field in Africa

ESSA and Southern Hemisphere have released a report titled 'A Situational Analysis on the State of the Education Research Field in Africa.'

It reveals a promising landscape characterised by the dedication of the actors’ and rapid growth in research publications.

However, a concerning trend emerges: up to 90% of African education research publications are self-funded, with international sources providing most of the funding for the remaining 10%. This reliance on external funding hinders the quality and quantity of research outputs.

Our analysis reveals an immature education research landscape across Africa, compounding the challenges of external funding dependency. This disconnect between funding sources and research needs not only diminishes research quality but also widens the gap between produced research and required knowledge for decision-makers.

The Enhancing Education Research in Africa (EERA) project is made possible by the generous support of the Jacobs FoundationEchidna Giving, and Imaginable Futures. Together, we are driving change in education research.

Download the report here 


About text formats

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.